Joshua Marinacci wrote:
> +1
>
> always consider your end goal first, then find the license that meets
> your need. For example, almost all of the open source projects I work
> on have the underlying goal of getting people to do more interesting
> things with Java. This means I want to code shared as far and wide as
> possible, so I chose the most common license with the least
> restrictions: BSD.

My two cents about these two patents. BSD is very short, while Apache is
longer (4 pages). While for software projects I prefer shorter stuff, I
*presume* that with legal stuff things are different ;-) Jokes apart,
I've the sensation that the Apache license is better written, it's
better "legalese" and clarifies better many aspects. Many people say
that the shorter and easier to understand BSD should be preferred
because non-legal people like us developers understand it better, but I
don't agree with this point of view: in the actual case you need to
protect your right with a license, e.g. in a litigation, the fact that
software engineers understand the license better is of no use, as you'll
deal with lawyers. Given that, a litigation is probably something that
won't happen to 99% of us.

Also, the Apache License includes a patent grant -  as I understand it,
contributors accept that, in case their contribution is patented, rights
for their patent are transferred to users of the code.

These two things probably don't make a big difference for many project
that we create and publish (I've never got a patent and I think I'll
never do), while are probably more interesting for evaluating software
that we use in our stuff. Nevertheless, I think that the Apache License
is well written and it's my favorite one.

3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this
License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide,
non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in
this section) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell,
sell, import, and otherwise transfer the Work, where such license
applies only to those patent claims licensable by such Contributor that
are necessarily infringed by their Contribution(s) alone or by
combination of their Contribution(s) with the Work to which such
Contribution(s) was submitted. If You institute patent litigation
against any entity (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a
lawsuit) alleging that the Work or a Contribution incorporated within
the Work constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, then
any patent licenses granted to You under this License for that Work
shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."