There's _no_ guaranteed right answer for language evolution. The
meritocracy can get it wrong, and one can make mistakes in creating
the selection criterion for what 'merit' implies (such as listening
solely to loudmouths - though in practice some of the folks
complaining have been playing around with other languages, prototypes,
and/or spinoff projects, which should all count as suitable technical
merit).

However, even if your meritocracy isn't working quite as effectively
as it could, it'll beat democracy hands down.