The punch card era of computing may be the last that leaves any
discernible record of the information technology of our era to future
archeologist. All the media since then will likely not survive the
centuries and this time period will effectively appear as a "dark
ages".

To think we've not yet invented any widely used medium of encoding
information that exceeds the durability of Sumerian clay tablets -
which have been deciphered after nearly 6000 years.

And as books become digital, a means of long term transmittal of
information to future generations will indeed cease, as any downturns
in civilization will wipe out the continuity of passing along
information digitally. Is kind of depressing to think our so-called
advanced technology of information processing is effectively creating
a black-hole dead-end.