I have always wanted to build a "micro" audio recording solution.  Lets say
you wanted to create a simple tutorial or testing app.

For example, say a spelling tutor for grade schoolers.

It would be very nice to have an efficient way to record, clip (remove
silence from front and back) and normalize (make it so it sounds the right
volume) short audio segments.  Imagine the app has either the student or a
teacher read in each word as it is presented.  The audio part could then
capture each part, clip it,  normalize it and save to its own file.  There
are other recording apps out there, but none that I know of for this
purpose.  You could produce the audio building block and put it in a sample
app.  It could be very valuable for lots of situations where you want
"average" users to capture audio labels.  (It seems like your teacher should
like something that would help kids learn.)