Second point: Is joe's 'bashing' deserved?

He threw the word 'communist' out there. It was a great discussion...
and he deserves what he's getting. If he was a delicate wallflower I
would gladly admonish the forum to hush, but the tone is relatively
civil and Joe doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that'll wither away
from a few forum comments.

NB: Good lord, Joe, you're so wrong, it's staggering. The patent law
system, *THATS* communistic. It gives people monopolies, it uses laws
and government interference to interrupt the market. It only vibes
even a little bit with the entire notion of a capitalist western
system if you consider ideas property, but that obviously doesn't
work, as that amounts to thought crime. To put it a different way:

Guy A thinks of some barely novel idea, let's say one-click shopping,
and patents it. He's got a ton of dough to bankroll the lawyers and
sets up shop, but he's a patent troll and/or an operator of an obscure
website so its not all that well known.

3 years later, Guy B comes up with the same idea, entirely separate
from Guy A. He's not rich enough to front the multiple 10,000s of
dollars it takes for a thorough patent review*, so he just builds his
site. After 6 months and plenty of business, Guy A sues him for patent
infringement. He wins (what with the lawyers he's got) and manages to
hold Guy B accountable for lost profits, which bankrupt Guy B.

How is this not:

 (A) thought crime,
 (B) retarded,
 (C) entirely possible with the current patent law, and
 (D) Something that sniffs of Stalinese practices far more than what's
colloquially known as 'the free market'?

*) It costs that much because everything is patentable, even
completely obvious stuff that definitely isn't a mechanism, due to the
frivolous abuse of patent law, and the USPTO's position that they
grant just about every patent provided its written with the magic
words included ("A system and method"), and will then strike them back
down again when someone challenges them in court with prior art. It
costs a ton of money to search for prior art, and it's virtually
impossible to strike down a patent on the basis that it isn't novel or
isn't a mechanism. If it can be done at all you need an ace lawyer.
The end result is that reviewing for possible infringements in a
product costs more than $10,000 and challenging any resulting found
patents, even completely ridiculous ones, will easily run you over
$50,000. This is stifling in the extreme, and a freelancer like
yourself isn't served very well by such a system.