On 28 April 2010 08:09, Wildam Martin <mwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 00:16, twitter.com/nfma
> <nuno.filipe.marq...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In my experience, the "horizon widening" was big enough to pay off for
> every
> > second I spent learning new languages.
>
> I am curious how you measure that. ;-) - But in general I can't see
> that BIG differences between new languages. But maybe this is due to
> the fact that I learned already about 12 programming languages and
> whatever new language I face, I can see mostly elements I already
> know.

It's not a scientific measure but every language I've learned so far had
some things in common with others but other stuff which was completely new
and made me look at problems/solutions in a different way. They definitely
influenced the way I code in the languages I use most.

> > If I had more time, I would, definitely, play with a lot more...
>
> If I would live in the realm eternity I wouldn't hesitate learning new
> stuff. But fact is: Everybody wants to have finished his stuff
> yesterday. ;-)

It's a trade-off, that's why one language per year it's not so bad to
accomplish and still leaves you enough room to try other stuff.

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 00:41, Steve <stephen.a.lind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Productivity gains are not the only reason to learn a new language
> > though, seeing how common problems are solved idiomatically in other
> > languages can make you a better programmer in the languages you are
> > already familiar in.
>
> Agree. But this does not apply for programming languages only - watch
> that video to get an idea:
>
> http://www.ted.com/talks/nathan_myhrvold_on_archeology_animal_photography_bbq.html
> So maybe, after you learned a few programming languages it gives you
> more horizon widening learning something completely different. In a
> lot of sciences for example people can learn from animals/biology.

You don't have to put all the eggs in the same basket. I also read about
psychology, economy, environment, art, architecture, etc... but in my
experience the amount of ideas that I take from other subjects are not as
many as I take from within IT, though when you combine ideas from different
fields you may get something that is completely new and innovative.

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:06, Jan Goyvaerts <java.arti...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > And what about just being curious how things work in the other languages
> ?
>
> I am known as a curious person, but I in general I am not curious for
> the sake of being curious. I want to solve problems and get things
> done - that is the basic idea behind. Although I admit, that you could
> say now: "So for the sake of getting things done you try to get things
> done" ;-)

I guess that's probably a personality trait, there are people that are
mostly builders, others are mostly learners. I'm mostly a learner, you're
possibly more of a builder. I think none is better than the other, just two
different ways to approach things.

Nuno