> So what do you think?

Looks like an ok device, but like I've been telling people for a long
time, the 'tablet' form factor is really a niche product category that
nobody will really 'win' on in the long term. There's really no killer
app for the profile that aren't already satisfied by other devices in
closely bordering use cases.

The device 'category' is good at:
- Media Consumption
- Case-portable
- Can be rested on your body
- Connectivity with internet

The device 'category' is really bad at:
- Content creation (despite any moron's claims to the contrary)
- Pocket portability
- Phone (sorry, even with data networks who in their right mind would
use this as 'the' phone they own?)
- Direct sunlight usability (for non-epaper units, which makes reading
a book on the beach difficult or highly disadvantageous)

You mention the fact that there's no alternative to the iPad, and in a
way you're right. The road of tablets goes back more than a decade and
no single product has found a mass consumer appeal. I may be
misguided, but that gives me the feeling that either every other
product was horrible (HP, IBM, etc...) or maybe the device just isn't
that compelling. In that vein, where are all the mid's these day?
Basically nowhere.