On May 5, 7:02 pm, Steven Herod <steven.he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't run it as an applet, use the web start to get it going.
>
> Does it have a future?  Sure, if we MAKE it have a future.
>
> BTW Has anybody got some links to real HTML5 applications?

On Windows, JavaFX 1.3 actually works really well (both the browser
plugin and the .jnlp web start). I can't get *any* JavaFX app to run
on my Ubuntu 10.04 system, either browser applet or .jnlp web start.
This is a nice new laptop with a fresh OS install.

However, maybe the problem is Linux. The Linux versions of Flash and
Mono Moonlight are both extremely buggy as well. Flash is pretty
stable for video playback (although on some players the pause/skip
controls don't work), but any Flash game or applet is completely
unusable on Linux.

I just made a crude JavaFX game (on my Windows system), and wow, the
scripting syntax and the GUI toolkit are just so elegant to use. For
most complex games, I'd imagine you would want to code directly to
OpenGL, but for simple games, and business data GUIs, JavaFX is as
close to perfect (from a dev side, not deployment) as I can imagine.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a "real" HTML5 app, but I think Google
Docs counts. I've been using those as my main spreadsheet/word
processor, and they are surprisingly much better than either MS Office
or Open Office for what I use them far.