On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:10 AM, opinali <opin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 abr, 00:43, Lloyd Meinholz <meinh...@javabilities.com> wrote:
> > I am not a "major Linux enthusiast" but I am not "complaining about this
> > (sic desktop) all the time" and I don't think it's garbage compared to
> other
> > desktop platforms. Out of curiosity, which "major Linux enthusiast" has
> > complained that GNOME and KDE are garbage? On the contrary, I find long
> time
>
> Have you ever heard of Linus Torvalds, for example? That fellow has
> repeatedly knocked both GNOME and KDE, switched from one desktop to
> the other in disgust and later switched back also in disgust. Look at
> the Linux Hater's Blog, or even lwn.net (e.g.
> http://lwn.net/Articles/299211/),
> even Slashdot, etc. The Linux desktop stack is adequate for some
> users, but it's clearly subpar to the competition. Notice that I don't
> claim that Linux Desktop is "not good" - it's clearly good enough for
> your needs, but even for you, I am very sure that the quality of
> Linux's desktop stack was not among the top reasons to have chosen
> Linux. ;-)

Linus who??? The criticism I have read from him was him not liking gnome
'dumbing down' the desktop and that's why her preferred KDE. Then you could
always choose xfce or openbox or whatever. Isn't choice wonderful? In spite
of his criticism of the Linux desktop, do you think he would advocate using
a Windows desktop instead?

> Microsoft PC guys saying that Linux (specifically Ubuntu) is worth
checking
> out. Here is a reference to back my statement: <
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342703,00.asp>.

 Yeah I especially like this part: "When I encountered a glitch, I
> changed to a safe graphics mode that limited my screen to 1,280-
> by-1,024 rather than 1,600-by-1,200—but this was no big deal". Linux
> is still struggling with BASIC issues like having graphics drivers
> that are reasonably reliable, feature-complete and efficient. Never
> mind really advanced or consumer-centric features in the top of the
> stack.

I use 1600x1200 on dual monitors and don't have this issue (without
installing proprietary drivers) so I don't know what this issue was. The
bigger point was that Dvorak has repeatedly said that Ubuntu (and MacOSX)
were good alternative (maybe even preferable) to Windows. Even so, the
article doesn't describe what sounds like a sub-par crippled desktop to me.

>  > I would really like to hear details of why you (or anyone else) thinks
> NTFS
> > is better than a Linux alternative, specifically ext3 since it's probably
> > the most pervasive. What exactly do you think NTFS introduced in '93 that
> > ext3 can't match?
>
> NTFS v1.0 had journaling, advanced security support, Unicode, large
> file and volumes (for that time anyway), B+Tree dirs, extents,
> pervasive metadata, multi-stream files. NT 3.5(1?) added transparent
> compression. Win2K added quotas, transparent encryption, sparse files,
> reparse points (building block for links and also many other features
> like HSM and deduplication). Vista added full transaction support,
> including distributed transactions. Meanwhile, ext3 is basically the
> Jurassic ext2 + journaling, very bogged down by backwards
> compatibility. What you really want is ext4 or btrfs, these are
> promising but not yet ready/mature. Notice also that filesystems are
> real beasts to mature - you don't want to put your mission-critical
> data on the first kernel that boasts btrfs v1.0; you want to wait some
> 3-5 years to do that. (Sun^H^H^HOracle's reputed ZFS, introduced in
> 2005, is only recently being considered really solid - and they still
> have some important issues to address, like volume shrinking - but
> that's a different category [filesystem + volume management].)
>
> I'm not claiming that NTFS is perfect, it's got its own issues like
> free space fragmentation; and ext3 is again good enough for many
> users. But the whole thing was just one particular example of Linux
> catching up, not being the overall high-tech leader that many people
> claim it to be at least in the kernel.

Maybe you work in different environments than me, but this list of features
is not something that has impacted projects that I have worked on. What has
impacted me are things like case sensitivity. Does NTFS (or is it the OS)
differentiate between lower and upper case yet? I had a lot of fun migrating
a database from W2K to Linux when the person who created the database wasn't
consistent in the case of database tables and columns. Things worked fine on
W2K because it couldn't tell the difference between B and b. Not so well on
an OS/File System that could.

> BTW, don't drop unfounded comments on someones platform and then request
> that this "not digress into an OS-war".

 Fair enough.