On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 08:36, Jan Goyvaerts <java.arti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm spending quite a lot of time on the road these days. So much that I ran
> out of podcasts ! :-)

Really? - I had to cut down podcasts and for some podcasts I only
download those episodes that are interesting from the title.

Anyway,

> But I still have a ton of text material to read.

Yes, there is ton of material to read... - and that is why I love
podcasts because while I am on the road/way I have time to listen in
parallel and I am forced to slow down - If one is following the IT and
developer news is usually quite urged to speed read only through
everything. So the happiness experience is better (at least for me)
listening to podcasts. Hurrying through the news feeds is more
suffering.

> I can put the laptop beside me in the car and let it "read" it for me. But,
> if it can read I guess it
> can record in mp3 too. Does somebody knows about an application to do this ?
> And save me from
> eternal boredom at the wheel ? ;-)

A few are (did not test any of those):
  - http://www.naturalreaders.com
  - http://www.readplease.com/
  -
http://download.cnet.com/Ultra-Hal-Text-to-Speech-Reader/3000-7239_4-10071733.html
  - http://www.nch.com.au/verbose/index.html (this has a Linux version)
  - More Linux stuff on this issue:
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/download.html
  - The "Festival" application is in the Ubuntu repository BTW - but I
didn't try that either.

--
Martin Wildam