On 15 July 2010 14:19, Wildam Martin <mwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:54, Mario Fusco <mario.fu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What always surprise me is that
> > it often looks more similar to a religious or at least ideological
> > discussion than a technical one. Could please somebody explain me why?
>
> Maybe the reasons are similar as different people prefer different
> languages - depending on their actual needs and personal favors?
>

> > Of course I don't want to give up to all the benefits of OOP, but I
> > don't think anybody is asking that. Scala is the demonstration of how
> > is possible to take the best of both these programming paradigms.
> > So why shouldn't we try to do the same in Java?
>
> I think you could code in functional style already in Java (ok, the
> standard libraries apart, but I am talking of the APIs you are
> building).
>
> From your link:
>
> > "Since every symbol in FP is final, no function can ever cause side
> effects.
> > You can never modify things in place, nor can one function modify a value
> > outside of its scope for another function to use (like a class member or
> > global variable)."
>
> Guess what: "Side effects" are something completely usual and desired
> in many cases. I want to manipulate existing objects or want objects
> "talking" back and forth to some other component.
> Of course for testing you need to initialize stuff correctly - but I
> don't want to make testing easier and at the same time make the rest
> of my life more complicated.

This has to be taken with a grain of salt. Side effects are mandatory.
IO is a side effect, so even in a pure FP you have to have a way to output
the result of a function, otherwise you're just generating heat on the
processor.
And Haskell, as a lazy language, wouldn't even run anything.

What you can do is try to isolate and reduce side effects (specially the
non-desirable ones), so that you can reason about and test your application
better.