Yes, I do believe this is simple. Given available tooling (netbeans) and tutorials, I think he could have something together in a few days (given he understand basic HTML, java, and JavaScript already). I'll mentored a few junior developers using this technology to accomplish simple tasks...the intent of course that they are being productive and learning the technologies at the same time.

(use netbeans)