On 16/07/2010 11:34 PM, Viktor Klang wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM, jitesh dundas <jbdun...@gmail.com <mailto:jbdun...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    JSF is good for security purposes and t he reason that it is in
    demand (again :)..) is the back-end security with integration that
    makes life so easy..

Sorry, but JSF has nothing when compared to Lift when it comes to security.

I have often meant to start off a thread on web frameworks when security is an issue. The above statements intrigued me. What do people mean by "security" in the above? Why is Lift more secure than JSF?

There are lots of aspects to security:

   * Authentication schemes (e.g. single sign on with IE + AD, SAML, or
     CAS, or fill in form versus HTTP basic authentication etc).  How
     radically do you have to change your code for each?  (Is it all
     abstracted away?)
   * Has framework and widgets been tested for vulnerabilities (cross
     site scripting, output encoding, etc).  For example I remember a
     cross site scripting vulnerability in a JSF component some time
     back.  With big frameworks (lots of widgets, JavaScript etc), how
     do you ensure there are not such defects in them?
   * Session identification and projection (random number cookies for
     session management and relying on HTTPS to protect the tokens
     seems pretty common)
   * How to make sure sensitive data does not leak out.  E.g. how to
     guarantee session id values never appear on a URL.
   * How easy is it to verify an application for correctness (can you
     automate the security verification step, or is it manual code
     inspection?)

I hear lots about frameworks on how flexible or easy to use, but not much on how robust they are (or how tested/verified) from a security perspective.

These days I think the security aspect would actually be my number one consideration if I was personally selecting a new web framework (or RIA) to choose. Is the Flex or JavaFX approach more secure than a web app where you have to worry about input validation and output escaping? How far do I trust Adobe technology (Flash) after all the Acrobat defects, or JavaFx given how new it is? Fundamentally, the more complex the technology (no matter what it is), the more security defects that are likely.

Alan

PS: Just listened to an OWASP security podcast interview some ex-army(?) guy (now in industry). He asked "what is security". He went on to talk about the marines, army, air force, navy, etc - each would have a different interpretation of "securing a building" - (invade and kill everyone, put a fence around, lock the doors when you leave, or sign a new leasing agreement). That part was mildly amusing, but made a good point - what do people *really* mean when they say "security"?