> Hi Folks,
>
> A little off topic perhaps but definitely in the "Oracle family".
>
> I've just been reading this, and in particular am interested in what
> people think about where this leaves OpenSolaris.
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Oracle-outlines-Solaris-11-says-little-of-OpenSolaris-1053998.html
>
> My take on this (and I probably don't know what I'm talking about :))
> is that basically any further developments to Solaris from Oracle will
> become closed source?
>
> The question for me is is this a trend we will see for other open
> source projects inherited from Sun?  Is that too much of a long bow to
> draw?
>
> Andrew.

It could also mean that they are working on improvements internally around
the base that they release under a commercial license only to be ahead of
the open source version and later do a dump release of changes or just
contribute back what they have to in order to prevent back porting.
OpenSolaris could still remain to be the core...

Purely speculating

Manfred