It comes to mind that Oracle could have some of the same problems with
GWT's use of Java that they have with Android. With GWT, Java is
compiled to an intermediate format (Javascript vs dex) and that
resulting code is run on a non-standard virtual machine (Javascript
engine vs Dalvik) on a machine that may not have a licensed JVM
installed. Also, GWT only supports only a subset of the Java class
library and there is a non-standard JNI like extension to the language
for executing Javascript from Java code.

It's making me think twice about recommending GWT. In fact it has me
thinking about a move to non-JVM/Java languages generally; something I
wouldn't have considered a month ago.

There probably wouldn't be the big payoff for licensing Java for GWT,
so Oracle might not even be interested. It is also possible that
Google has an agreement with Sun/Oracle about GWT already. I have no
idea about that.

Still, it just creates a lot of uncertainty about the future of Java/
JVM based stuff for me.