I think in summary of the last weeks happenings, we have our answer in
how Oracle will treat the community.

Regardless of the right/wrongness of patents, and in particular those
generic patents (all with prior art) - the fact that the first big
public noise from Oracle regarding Java is a patent threat to google
(who were doing something interesting, although not "pure java" by any
means) is clearly disappointing to me and many others. The damage that
I am concerned about is purely to the community. Both Android / Google
and  Oracle will be just fine pretty much no matter what.

Had it been mixed with other announcements, clarifications, or perhaps
NOT used patent troll techniques (ie use trademark, or copyright, if
they could), then things would be different.