Hi folks,

it is starting to become a headache for me. I have some projects that
automatically do a clean & build removing my existing javadoc and I
have projects that sometimes need to be built twice to build without
errors (usually problems with symbols not found).

I have quite modularized architecture with several different libraries
and plugin technologies. I usually specify the project folder in
Project Properties->Libraries which always shows that it uses the
compiled files from the dist folder.

I noticed that some older projects have different (default) settings
for "compile on save" and "track java dependencies". So at this point
I have a mixture. :-(

I searched the net and found a strange recommendation at:
http://wiki.netbeans.org/CompileOnSave#J2SE_Projects

> In particular, the following changes are proposed to the J2SE project
> properties:
>    * remove "Track Java Dependencies" checkbox from the Build/Compiling tab
>    * add "Enable Quick Run" checkbox to the Run tab

Why should I turn the tracking off for J2SE projects (I would rather
have expected to better turn it off for JEE projects...) and what the
hack is "Enable Quick Run" - I can't find that.

http://wiki.netbeans.org/FaqCompileOnSave
is even more irritating to me as I don't really understand now, how
the whole compile and build process works (I even don't use maven so
it should be easier). When I debug everything is compiled differently
then when building? - Then why does NetBeans prevent me often from
building saying that already compiled because compile-on-save is on.
Either documentation must be wrong (or just missleading - that is also
possible) or NetBeans has bugs or it is just my "misconfiguration".

Primary question: How should I have my project settings for "compile
on save" and "Track Java dependencies" - and should I rather create a
library in netbeans adding the jars in dist and link directly to that
instead of linking directly the project? (I am doing Java SE only).

--
Martin Wildam

http://www.google.com/profiles/mwildam