Really??? Then why did not .NET enjoy the same treatment???  Microsoft
was much much more powerful than Sun micro
I agree with Reinier, Java won because it provides much more than just
syntax fix.  By having a VM and
garbage collector Java provides a platform that is more secure and less
likely to shoot your own foot.  By the way,
I graduate 1997 Java already start to flourish, even my school - one of the
best CS in Canada, never teaches Java.