Lots of people who are complaining about software patent law are not
screaming for their total abolishments. I might, but only because I've
long held the opinion that reform was in order, but every idea I've
read or come up with myself has been shot full of holes in short
order. I've concluded that there's no way to get it right, so
abolishment is simpler all around, and a much clearer goal than
nebulous, ill defined, "reform".

For example, a 2 year expiration term doesn't really help all that
much. The  few patents that most would agree are novel and thus, if
anything is, worthy of legal protection, do not generally become
market feasible for a year or two. So... by the time the product has
passed the "early adopter" phase and is starting to hit the
mainstream, which, by the way, is when you can _start_ earning money
in earnest, the patent law protection runs out. Note also that by
squeezing the patent term, that $60,000 cost associated with getting
one the right way is starting to be an awfully large number, if you've
got only 2 years to turn it around.

Meanwhile, the patents we all love to bash, such as amazon one-click,
would be filed and become annoying right away. In many ways, the mere
fact that a patent causes significant economic effect within 2 years
is almost 100% equal to a patent NOT being particularly novel. In
fact, it is trivial to demonstrate that a patent on something that's
already existed is likely to pay off within those 2 years, because a
smaller company does not want to gamble on going to court to get the
patent revoked.

If you had to give me a choice: Current law, or, reduce term to two
years, I'd definitely go for the two years. But only because it gets
us closer to total abolishment. Note that the above analysis, if you
agree with it, suggests that there exists no magic "patents last THIS
long" number that works. At best there's a local maximum (which I'm
fairly sure would still mean the law does more harm than good), but,
because the technology world moves very quickly, this would definitely
be a moving target. Even we hypothesize that this local maximum does
more good than harm, how would you propose the law is set up so that
it tracks this local maximum appropriately? Having to do a million man
march in washington every 15 years to fix the law because it is
incapable of adjusting itself does not sound like a solid plan.

On Sep 7, 9:04 am, Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it>