Back to the latest episode, since this is a technical podcast (still
is?) I was preparing myself for a 2 hour episode thinking they'd
actually go over the patents in question and was disappointed (it even
seemed like they didn't even read them. Dick, it IS about the JVM) as
perhaps they would've seen the implications on other open source
efforts other than Android.

as a quick reference:
http://www.theserverside.com/report/The-Oracle-Google-Patent-Lawsuit-Demystified

And what does this mean for the OpenJDK?  I was also hoping to hear
the Java(TM) Posse's reaction to Neal Gafter's latest blog post (Aug
26):

"...I would normally post my comments on the proposal to the lambda-
dev mailing list, which ensures that any IP embedded in my comments
are formally submitted to Oracle's ownership. However, Oracle's recent
lawsuit against Google has made it clear that, even though I am a
contributor to openjdk7, I do not have a license to Oracle's patents
that are necessarily infringed by the use of the openjdk7 source
base."

http://gafter.blogspot.com/

looking forward to the next episode,
-Dario