On 18 September 2010 09:22, Reinier Zwitserloot <reini...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure why you find this so important. Why is "a.name = foo" so
> much nicer than "a.setName(foo)"? Doesn't this entire line of arguing
> boil down to: I get annoyed having to manually write "getX" and "setX"
> methods?

Speaking personally, no, I get annoyed having to manually *read* them.  The
first form really is much easier.

> In which case, sure, but if solving that problem makes one a
> higher level than java, then java+lombok is higher level, I guess.

Of course it is, it removes the manual task of maintaining accessors,
constructors, and equality/hashcode methods.
Thus making a trivial detail invisible/automated.

> I'm not sure thats a particularly convenient definitoin for "higher level
> language"

It's your own definition :)

> then just about any feature of any kind means "higher
> level". We'd need a billion levels.

I tend to see level as existing on a continuum, so there are no distinct
levels.

Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
pulse / skype: kev.lee.wright