On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Serge Boulay <serge.bou...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there some particular reason Oracle choose the diamond operator over
> something like “var” ?

Introducing a new keyword is always very, very dangerous and has the
potential to break a lot of code (witness what happened with assert), so any
language designer worth their salt will always avoid doing so unless there
is really no other way.

The diamond operator is a reasonable compromise but considering that we can
already achieve a similar effect today(*), I am not particularly thrilled by
this new feature.

(*) List<Integer> l = Lists.newArrayList();

--
Cédric