Agreed, irrelevant is probably the wrong word.  The differences
between companies like Oracle and Sun (including the former's lack of
a technical career path) certainly is an interesting and very relevant
topic.  But the fact is that Oracle bought Sun, not the other way
around, so you can't expect Oracle to turn into what Sun once was.
Its not the contrasting between the two companies that annoyed me, it
was what I perceived (perhaps wrongly, articles like this can warp
what was said) as him complaining about it.  The discussion he had
over whether or not IBM would have been a better buyer I also thought
was interesting, though as an IBM employee myself I probably shouldn't
comment on it...