> I've done some more checking and there IS a fatal flaw in my scheme:
> Even a .getMethod() lookup on a public method runs a security check
> and can thus result in a SecurityException. No clue why. I guess one
> could catch the SecurityException and guess, but that's a very bad
> idea as it would mean the behaviour of an equals method is dependent
> on whether or not a security manager is preventing reflection.

I hate to say "I told you so", but:

"... and will die horribly on any VM where you have a security model in
place that prevents reflection (possibly including Android)" - 2 days ago.

Accept the wisdom of Odersky into your life, he already had the right
solution.

--
Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com