We're currently working on a desktop app using a java backend and an extjs
frontend with an embedded browser. It's more of a business app but it seems
to work quite well. It looks good out of the box, the components are feature
rich and the developers are already familiar with the concepts. The
application can run as a desktop app or as a web application. Seems to me an
easier approach than writing a Swing app with more bang for the buck (don't
get me wrong, I love swing)

Ruben

[1]
http://ruben42.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/writing-a-thick-client-java-application-with-extjs/