I assure you I understand the difference.

see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_interface#Modalities_and_modes

specifically

"Heavy use of modes often reduces the usability of a user interface, as the
user must expend effort to remember current mode states, and switch between
mode states as necessary."

also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(computer_interface)

"An human-machine interface is modal with respect to a given gesture when (1)
the current state of the interface is not the user's locus of attention and (2)
the interface will execute one among several different responses to the
gesture, depending on the system's current state." (Page 42)." - Jeff Raskin

Rob