> Secondly, in the context of #329's discussion, it's not clear why
> secret APIs are even relevant.  The things that an AWT/Swing port
> needs to provide are a known problem, and it is known that these
> things can all be done with public APIs.  After all, SWT does them
> all, and is far more entangled with native widgets than Swing/AWT.
> And since SWT is open source, it should be straightforward to go see
> how they did it. So, I don't buy that secret APIs are necessary for a
> SwingAWT port.

He may be extrapolating from the Windows port of the JRE. In contrast,
Microsoft had at least readable source (mind you, not open source) for
MFC shipping with Visual Studio, whereas Cocoa/Quartz AFAIK is totally
closed. I know Gosling holds a grudge and has a new mission in life,
but this particular thing I find quite plausible - of course both
Microsoft and Apple have their share of hidden/private API's.