Here are the way in which it isn't open:

1. My Phone manufacturer has provided their user interface, I cannot
turn it off
2. I cannot  install another version of the operating system without
voiding my warranty.
3. My phone company has installed their own applications that I cannot
uninstall or disable.

My point being is that Open isn't really a selling point for the
general public, the fact that *I* can write an app in Scala doesn't
make up for the fact my mother can't uninstall that stupid application
that only works on 3G that my telco thinks I need.

Recently, I believe some VLC variant was pulled from the Apple store
because Apples TOC violates the GPL.

Which brings the irony of a product so open and available that it's
unavailable to a massive percentage of the population on the basis
that it's need to be open and available excludes it from being
available.

Meh,  its a phone operating system, not a cause.

I'm taking my jailbroken android phone and making a donation to
Amnesty International on the basis its the only kind of Open and Free
I should be worrying about :)