On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it <mailto:fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it>> wrote:

    While as time goes on I reckon that the fragmentation issue is
    less and less a problem (*), the above statement is completely
    misleading. The problem with fragmentation, real or apparent,
    doesn't impact a lot the *development* (which is addressed by that
    "writing code that..."), but the *testing* - both for time,
    infrastructure and access to physical devices

I think their approach to testing was "Release a beta version to 50,000 users". Which might be becoming the norm, since Angry Birds did it too. A clearly labeled beta version might be the most cost-effective way to test real-world usage on a lot of different devices.

Well, unfortunately not everybody can afford that! Being able to manage 50,000 users means that a) you've written a cool and successful app (and you don't do that in one day, you have to crawl your way to that point) and b) you have a good communication strategy and infrastructure to manage all that users.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."