Having a "vanilla" phone is very important to me.

I just bought the G2 (US branded HTC phone) specifically because it
has the "pure Android" experience.  That was an important reason I
bought the Nexus One (and would have been a good reason to buy the
Nexus S if it wasn't missing some features that are important to me).

Putting customized software on top of Android is the single most
important way vendors can differentiate their phones, so don't expect
that to change anytime soon. Otherwise, there is not much difference
between the hardware - as many of the current crop of phones share
very similar specifications.