Interesting - complicated API? I understand obstacles, but I've
honestly never seen JavaSpaces as having a "complicated API" -- it has
one of the simplest APIs I've ever seen for sending messages/posting
data. At it's heart, it has three operations, with one operation
having variations:

1) write data
2) read data (with nondestructive and destructive variations)
3) notify when matching data exists in a space (i.e., a callback for messages)

The only "complicated" part I've seen when working with JINI is
acquiring a space in the first place, because JINI doesn't really make
it clear - that's up to the implementers to get right or wrong. In our
case, it's three lines of code, or two lines of Spring configuration.

Plus, honestly, tying your spaces to SQL is a performance bottleneck,
as I pointed out - it means your system is limited to the transaction
speed of your database, which is honestly not going to be that fast.
(We've seen transactions go up 1500X - yes, one thousand five hundred
times - in three days of conversion from a traditional SQL datastore
to GigaSpaces.)

This isn't meant to be an ad, incidentally. I'd love to find out more
about your experiences, especially why the API is complicated. I've
heard that it's foreign, that it's impossible that it works ("I don't
believe a transactional write of fifteen objects can happen in one
tenth of a millisecond"), but "complicated API" is a description I've
not heard.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Adam G. <adam.gie...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we have been working with GigaSpaces, JavaSpaces, TSpaces (IBM) and
> other implementations quite some time ago (for internal projects and
> also for a distributed systems course at University. But it always
> turned out that the system were hard to setup, had a complicated API
> and other obstacles.
>
> Finally, we ended up (4 years ago) in implementing our own TupleSpace
> system with a comparable API to the TSpaces and also clients for
> heterogeneous languages (Java, C#, Prolog, PHP, Ruby and generic Web
> Services) called SQLSpaces.
>
> Before I write too much about it here, just go to the page
> http://sqlspaces.collide.info/ and check out the documentation. Btw.
> it is OpenSource under LGPL (client libs) and AGPL (server).
>
> Best,
>  Adam

Joseph B. Ottinger
http://enigmastation.com