From: Karsten Silz <karsten.s...@gmail.com>
To: The Java Posse <javaposse@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, January 16, 2011 1:54:15 PM
Subject: [The Java Posse] Re: Google to drop H.264 codec from Chrome

On Jan 15, 2:46 pm, remco <remco.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hate to say this on a java newsgroup but I was using a silverlight
> video website on my ubuntu laptop I use for work. Moonlight of the
> mono project worked very well and it is open source. So there is your
> open source alternative to flash,

Strictly, speaking, it's an open source alternative to Silverlight,
not Flash.  There's a lot more Flash content out there than
Silverlight, so an open source alternative Flash player should play
the existing content, not ask you to rewrite it.  If you have to
rewrite it anyway, I wouldn't go for Silverlight.

There is a bunch of Flash "players" implemented in Javascript, but
they aren't mature yet:
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Smokescreen-a-JavaScript-Flash-Player-1015644.html