Odd that a request on Google Groups about which group to try for help
with Java got several responses all pointing to other websites.
In the lag time between making this post here and having it appear on
this group thread list I did find a Java group called
comp.lang.java.help.
I didn't exactly find the solution but I did figure out the problem.
I'm trying to execute some code in a Java event listener action method
which takes some time.
At the start of that method I want to show something on the screen to
let the user know it's processing.
At the end of the method I want it to show their new screen that
processing just generated.
The display from the start of the method never appears.  Apparently
Java won't update gui while it's processing.
It appears to be a threading issue.