> He is saying, however, that there are domains where java isn't the best
>> choice.
>>
> Isnt that obivous ? I thought this thread wasnt about using wahts available
> because you havbe no choice but rather trying to always jump to something
> else because one can and one wants to experiment ?

No. You are still missing the point.

If you have limited your understanding to only one language you've
effectively limited understanding of how to solve problems to the tool set
readily available in that language.

The **recommendation** to learn one language a year is all about expanding
your problem solving skills and adding to the tool set available to you in
your every day life.

I do not have to become proficient in Scala or Haskell to start using Java
in a more functional manner where it is warranted, if I have grasped the
general gist of FP and it's compositional powers. But *learning of those
languages* has helped me and has made my every day java programming much
more fun than without being able to draw from the extended tool set of other
programming paradigms...