> Hmm it's true that Ruby got a boost due to Rails, but I am not sure
> you can generalize like that. Rails unique use of generators and
> conventions is a result of dynamic typing and very (too?) flexible
> syntax. And looking around it seems as if RoR caters to a certain
> niche of greenfield/grassroot development and its adoption has peeked
> [http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/paperinfo/tpci/Ruby.html].

You can do most of what Rails does without dynamic typing.  In Java you
could use annotations.  Or instead of dynamic methods use parameters on
static methods - instead of Model.findByName("phil"), Model.find("name",
 "phil").  But I would hope the "Next Big Language" would offer optional
dynamic typing anyway.

As far as greenfield development - we are talking about new languages here
right?  So everything is greenfield.

> Odd that you mention Mirah in this context, given that its design goal
> is to cater to no runtime library whatsoever.

I don't see how that matters.  You can add libraries frameworks as needed.
 The question is:  why Mirah?  I'm giving a potential answer:  an excellent
web framework.

> > Even Java doesn't have such a stack.
>
> No because your listed criteria would require a benevolent dictator.
> In fact, it sounds an awful lot like the Microsoft world.

Most frameworks have benevolent dictators don't they?  I can't just go in an
add 40 features to Struts.  I'm saying you need a bigger scope for a
framework (full stack).  Grails did this mostly, they pieced together a
bunch of existing frameworks and integrated them into a full stack.

In the java world you have so many choices to make when you want to start a
new project.  You have to pick a build system, a test framework, a project
directory layout, web framework, persistence framework, configuration
strategy. In the Rails world, you just start type on the console: "rails
myproject", start coding and creating real business value :)  BTW, just
because these decisions are made for you in Rails, doesn't mean you can't
deviate via plugins, etc.  It's just there are "reasonable defaults".

And the reason I targeted "web framework" is it's the sweet spot.  Every
(almost) company developing a new product needs a web app.  It's the UI.