I've yet to watch the presentations but colour me surprised at the vaporware
nature, too.  Spending a lot of time hashing out a language "on paper" is,
if you ask me, very much the wrong way to go about it. The basics are
relatively trivial, especially for someone who has been secretly thinking of
language features most of the time during the past 10 years (how else do you
channel frustrations with your main language if not by imagining a way that
would be less frustrating)?

Thus, I would have expected a basic language parser and compiler with a few
of the interesting edge cases explicitly not filled in at all yet, possibly
with some command line switches to enable a few different experimental ways
to tackle the interesting edge cases.This way the language authors and
fellow interested can give a few different ways of doing things a whirl and
come to some sort of consensus. I've yet to see a language where everything
just falls into place; there are always use cases that aren't catered to yet
but where implementing a solution is complicated, either because its hard to
come up with a natural syntax that doesn't clash anywhere else (natural =
obvious and easy to remember for the programmers and relatively readable),
or where what the implementation is supposed to do is just plain complicated
(i.e. the iteration variable of a for loop's behaviour in closures).

I also admit I'm not particularly charmed of pre-announcing a programming
language in the first place. I don't think its healthy for the community _AT
ALL_, because the new language can make as many claims as it wants to
without an easy way to check if the hype is justified. The focus naturally
drifts towards pointing at flaws in the purported language-to-be-replaced
(i.e. java, the language), instead of the benefits this new language brings
to the table (or, in other words, the 'benefits this new language brings to
the table' is simply framed as: Fixes all of java's faults, which doesn't
mean much, as some of those faults are JVM-related, most are in the eye of
the beholder, and many are intrinsically related to java's strengths, so any
attempt to fix them will most likely introduce new faults and/or its not at
all obvious how one would go about fixing such things).

Perhaps this is an attempt to generate more eyeballs and contributors, but
doesn't that effectively amount to design-by-committee programming if you
actually manage to get the contributors? I doubt you'll find people willing
to meekly just implement your vision, no questions asked, on their own free
time. Not if the language is no more than a dream on paper.

I'm hoping I'll be seeing some actual innovations and not just a loose
collection of 'lets fix java things'. This notion of offering a structural
way to store hierarchical data in the language itself in order to ditch the
frequent need for XML(-esque) config files is interesting though it sounds a
bit familiar (GoSu has something similar as does JavaFXScript).