I'm curious what those on the list think of the "Compiler as a Service" that
is theoretically targeting  the next version of C# 5.0 (Non-confirmed) and
if you think Java would benefit from such a direction.

-----

*MD:* Is Microsoft still heading toward its vision of the "compiler as a
service" for future versions of the C# compiler?

*LF:* Yes, very much so. "Compiler as a service" is a project in which we're
re-writing the C# compiler in C#. In the process, we're opening up the
compiler and exposing managed API's, so that you can query the compiler for
information that was previously hidden behind a "black box." This change
will enable several scenarios, including a richer language object model to
support third-party extensions, the creation of a Read-Eval-Print-Loop, DSL
embedding, and the ability to host C# in other contexts. We started on this
project a couple of years ago, and plan to ship it in a future release, yet
to be determined. It is a huge undertaking, and will take some time still to
complete.