Long ago I used 3 white spaces for indention, then when I worked in Ruby it
was 2 characters for indention, now PHP people are using 4 characters for
indention.

If you have an existing codebase, follow whatever convention they used (if
they did) (or if the language forces it, ala Python).

But what do you prefer to use?  I would have said 2, but now 4 is looking
rather nice.

(anyone who mentions they use tabs, please line up against the back wall)