After listening to the roundup session, I figured it may be worth having a
look at sling [1] and crx [2] for a reference on how to use REST. In short,
Sling and it's commercial cousin CRX is a rest framework with script
execution on top of a java content repository. The key here is, that this
all comes from Day (now acquired by Adobe) where Roy Fielding works. This
may very well be a good example on how to implement an app on top of REST.
If you look at CRX, they also ship with CRXDE|lite, a full EXTJS style
eclipse clone to write code. It's free for developers, worth checkin it out,
I think. Start up firebug and see how their UI connects to the REST services
in the back.

[1.1] also shows their default REST servlet implementation and the
operations/error codes they use. There was some discussion about this in the
roundup.

Ruben

[1] http://sling.apache.org/
[1.1]
http://sling.apache.org/site/manipulating-content-the-slingpostservlet-servletspost.html
[2] https://www.day.com/day/en/products/crx/download/registration.html

As I said, we're still trying to work out if we want to go down the route of