is it just me or does this release seem kinda "yea, whatever"

http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/

im sure you dynamically typed languages guys will like the new improvements
in the JVM.  but nothing that really gets the front page of wired magazine.

here's my uneducated take after reading for 10 minutes
the language:
nothing really new.  they added a few things for shortcuts but nothing
groundbreaking such as when enumerations or generics was added.

java xml:
great, more java parsing libraries.  like we need more of them.

the RIA:
didn't we try embedding java in the browser objects in the browser a few
years ago? hence, javascript?

java 2d and swing:
could be cool.  my experience 99.9% of the code i write is middleware.  if
we want to put a great UI on my code usually something like c#, PHP, JSP,
JSF, etc are used.  i can think of two apps that are thickware that could
use this, eclipse and freemind.  but its just what we specialize in i guess.

the rest,
i don't know, yea they could be helpful but not worthy of a ticker tape
parade.

maybe thats why oracle is so low key.  i mean where are my closures? wheres
my new memory management in the JVM that allows it to use the systems memory
as needed without having to configure it?  these are the types of things i
was wishing for but hope in one hand and ......

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Jan Goyvaerts <java.arti...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Here it is !
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 14:40, Jan Goyvaerts <java.arti...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If I'm not mistaken the announced launch date is today. Is it ?
>>
>> Not much of a fuss in the media though... :-)
>>

>  --

You want it fast, cheap, or right.  Pick two!!