Yes that looks clear from the article. How stupid is that, start
testing a hugely popular project like Lucene on a hugely important JDK
update a single week before the latter is GA? And then complaining
that *Oracle* did not turn around immediately on the bug report, over
a weekend no less.

In all fairness, the loop optimization bug has a submit date of May
13, it was not discovered by the Lucene team. Maybe before Lucene,
Oracle evaluated that to be an extremely rare thing that wouldn't like
affect real-world code (Pentium FDIV all over again... never make this
kind of bet with bugs that silently produce wrong results, no matter
how huge your internal testing with real app code - as a single
important/vocal affected user/project means loads of shit hitting the
fan). So thumbs down to Oracle, too, for glossing over this particular
bug to keep their planned release date. But Lucene's behavior was just
as irresponsible.

One interesting comment is to complain that the GA build was the same
as the month-old b147. That's stupid, this is how a RC build is
SUPPOSED to be. Old Sun never did that properly, the GA release of a
major JDK update (and even most minor updates when these had beta
builds) was never identical to the last RC; it always had a few last-
minute changes (often revealed by a "micro-build" letter suffix, e.g.
"125e" where only that latter was increased from the last RC). JDK 7
is the first release I remember that's bit-per-bit identical to the
last public prerelease build, and that is good because that's a build
that thousands of people and projects have tested, which reduces the
risk of last-minute surprises in the GA.

A+
Osvaldo