On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Chris Koerner <chessm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember the days when Java was viewed with incredible excitement and
> everyone couldn't wait to get a chance to work on a project using Java.

I think the excitement is still there but it's morphed.

In the early years, I was excited by Java because it saved me from C++.

These days, I'm not excited by the language itself but by the feeling of
empowerment and productivity it gives me. I feel that with very few
exceptions, I can put together an app that does pretty much anything you can
think of with very little friction and in a very, very short time. It will
be fast, fully typed, easy to maintain and evolve and with a satisfying
architecture that I will feel comfortable tweaking and adjusting. And yes,
all this despite Java's verbosity.

I like a lot of alternative JVM languages, but when you look at the broader
picture, none of these languages score as high as Java in all these areas.

--
Cédric