Hi there,

I'm currently sitting in Kirk Pepperdine's Java Perf Tuning course
(http://www.kodewerk.com), it is a course you want to get yourself on
if you want to seriously learn how to tune Java stacks.

There's a bunch of tuning by folklore advice out there on the net, I'd
stay well clear of most of it! One bit of folklore is that 'Move to
Java version X, your app will go faster'. Sure Java 7 has some
benchmarks showing that it's faster/more efficient than Java 6 for a
bunch of use cases, but your actual memory hog issue might be caused
by something else....

Kirk highly recommends Charlie Hunt's "Java Performance" book, but it
doesn't quite have the 'Performance Diagnostic Model' methodology that
I've found invaluable in narrowing down the hunt for each bottleneck,
not sure how much of Java 7 it covers.

Cheers,
Martijn