The challenger could have been saved if there had been cute animals in the
powerpoint?
I'm pretty sure I'm not buying that.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Josh Berry" <tae...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 5, 2012 9:22 am
Subject: [The Java Posse] Re: Animals in talks
To: <javaposse@googlegroups.com>

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Jon Kiparsky <jon.kipar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this, they're often right. Unless the picture is relevant, leave it out. In
> fact, you can generally improve a presentation by orders of magnitude by
> getting rid of the powerpoint and just saying what you have to say.
> Eliminating distraction helps both you and the audience focus on your talk.
> Same thing with jokes - I can assure you, no matter who you are, that comedy
> is a lot harder than you think it is, and you're not as good at it as you
> think you are. If you have something to say, say it. If it's worth saying,
> that's all you need.

I don't know.  I find the tension between "just say it" and "comedy is
harder than you think" interesting.  Not to mention the falsity of
your statement.  Consider, the engineers "simply said" that the
Challenger was likely to have problems.

I have no argument against Tufte when he says that Powerpoint is
horrible.  My gripe is this idea that public speaking doesn't have an
art to it.  If you want to be able to convincingly tell people things,
you will have to practice.  There is an art to the practice.  This is
no different than public discourse on the internet, and it doesn't
take much searching (specifically my posts) to find that not everyone
is effective at it.