laupäev, 21. juuli 2012 1:18.37 UTC+10 kirjutas Josh Berry:

> My jerk comment.  OSGi style modularity has not helped Eclipse compete
> with IDEA.  Why do we think it will help everyone else?

This is a straw man argument. Modularity (OSGi or any other) has nothing to
do with IDEA vs Eclipse vs NetBeans.
All of the IDE platforms are modular almost by definition. It's just the
implementations of the modularity are different.

I would even argue that the Eclipse architecture (and openness - both in
API design and in political/commercial sense) has played huge interests to
Eclipse ecosystem. Just look at the amount of various language IDE's and
other tooling that can be found in Eclipse ecosystem versus IDEA. Sure the
latter is a more cohesive experience, but you can not honestly claim that
Eclipse is no competition to IDEA.