First time I heard about Groovy was when Dick got it in the neck for
possibly being less than respectful about it on the podcast years ago.

I've been using it for 6 months now and I can honestly say its been a
wonderful experience.

If, like me, you were quite content doing Java and thought all this
alternative languages debate (mostly Scala) a lot of hot air then Groovy
might be the right stepping stone into the wider world.

I'm not going to give a feature by feature list of what's in groovy but I
will say that it has bits of other languages so you get a taste of what's
involved without too much risk.

The best part has been writing Java, then trying out the pogos, then trying
the collection enhancements, then trying gpars for concurrency, etc. All in
my own time. And there's LOADS MORE to explore!

One thing I should say, groovy is not grails. For some reason me and Grails
do not see eye to eye and initially made me dislike Groovy.

Rakesh