Here's a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer but better
safe than sorry...

I am sitting here with "Teach Yourself Java" on my lap and its going very
well (up to page 84!) , however, it does insist on JDK7 in order to compile
strings in switch statements. As I too am using OS 10.6.8, I got the same
problem. If I understand this group correctly then this is where I need to
be to get along without
Lion:
http://code.google.com/p/openjdk-osx-build/downloads/detail?name=OpenJDK-OSX-1.7-universal-jdk-b222-20111220.dmg

- is that right?

As I say - very much a beginner, and I appreciate the advice. A 'yes' or
'no' will do.

Thanks
Stephen