On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:22:40 AM UTC+1, Roland Tepp wrote:

> I must admit, the choice of the default value syntax for annotations felt
> less than intuitive to me when I first saw it.
> One can get used to it, but it still feels weird...
>
> New proposal for default method syntax kind of feel better aligned to the
> most of the language, where all the accessor modifier annotations of a
> method preceed the type and name of the field/method/type...

Agree with that. The prepended modifier list is a well established pattern,
it's the annotation syntax that stands out from the norm.

Java's annotation "default" is clearly not a mere modifier/marker but a
somewhat non-orthogonal construct burnt into the compiler front-end, If
Java had properties and/or named parameters, this could've been implemented
more elegantly on top of existing language constructs instead (the Enum was
more successful at doing this, although it suffers from forward-referencing
hickups).

However, Josh Bloch could clearly not copy all of C#'s attributtes given
the difference between the two languages. Alas, it seems like the "default"
keyword will carry 3 different semantics in Java 8.