I spoke directly with Xavier Durouchet (sic), and asked if this means they
are moving to Eclipse (first question in 'What's new in the Android SDK"
talk from IO13).

It is clear, that they are NOT moving away from Eclipse, but find the
JetBrains architecture easier to customize in the ways they want (in
particular, the direct Gradle implementation was one of the things he
particularly called, and the xml next to visual layout).

For now, and the immediate future, Eclipse is still the supported
Platform.  Android Studio is Preview (ie. Alpha).  Don't forget where some
other tools they demoed during the keynote have gone (ie. Wave, NexusQ, ).
The ADT Eclipse tools are very stable, and used by many people, and
documented - it wouldn't make sense to abandon that for a multitude of
reasons.

I am particularly interested, in that I am just finishing a book on the ADT
(out in the next 2 months), so was a little worried about major re-writes
;-).  Turns out Android Studio is just another direction, and not the
abandonment of Eclipse.  I will write a chapter, but clearly, it's too
early for anything more comprehensive (maybe in the second printing).

The thing is, that the tools themselves are open-source, and designed to be
easy to port.  Support for InteliJ has existed for a long time already.
Many of the things they demoed, are available in the standard ADT now (in
particular, the visual editor preview stuff for multiple screen sizes,
etc).  I think the core tools will be the same between platforms, with
certain optimizations (regarding workflow in particular) will make each IDE
unique in it's own way.

I like Eclipse, and have been using it for a long time.  I am not sure I am
ready to switch to an entirely new IDE quite yet.  I am excited to play
with it a bit, as it looks to have some nice optimizations.

Mike
http://www.amazon.com/Android-Developer-Tools-Essentials-Zipalign/dp/1449328210