To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 8:55 PM
Subject: [jaws_users] Creating Sounds in OE Re: Creating sounds in Outlook.

Hi All,

   There was a program mentioned on the old JFWlite list which would
do this, but it was freeware and I believe was only good for an OE
session and you had to do everything all over again when OE was
unloaded.

   There was a post on another list last month that this program has
been updated and, with the paid version, apparently the sounds stay in
OE permantly.

   Here's the post about the updated version:

If you are running Windows XP or 2000, there is a little program
called
OETune:

http://www.oehelp.com/oetune

It only costs $9.95, but you can try out a demo first. I am using it
right
now, and have several sounds set up with rules in OE6.

It will not work in Windows 98 or M/e.

   I checked out the URL in the post and, if memory serves, you have
to pay by PayPal or check.  I haven't tried it yet since it sounds a
bit complicated and the restricted payment methods are a bit of a
problem.

   Here's the post that Debbie Scales wrote about the original
program in case it might help someone who wants to try it get started
with it:

I just ran across something kind of cool.  Below is the information
from the
website.  Then I will add my comments at the bottom about how it works
with
jaws.

OETune

Version 2.00 Updated 09/29/03

PROGRAM FEATURES

Outlook Express has filter features that allow one to move or copy
messages
to specific folders based upon the contents of the message header
fields.
For instance, if you receive an email from your cat, you can set a
message
rule so that whenever the message is received from your cat, it is
moved to
a specific folder (e.g. mycat).

OETune allows you to set individual sound files to play or htm files
display whenever OE writes to specific folders. So one could set the
sound
played for the folder mycat to Meow.wav, and whenever a message was
then
received from your cat, then the computer would play "Meow".

The program runs in Windows 2000, and WindowsXP. I have not tested it
yet in
Win9x and WinMe.
It requires installation of the .NET 1.1 framework, which can be
obtained
from Windows Update.

You can download the program (10 KB) by Clicking
http://www.oehelp.com/OETune/OETune.zip.

USING OETune

1. Open OE and ensure that background compaction (Tools | Options |
Maintenance) is disabled (the program will not run otherwise).
2. Set up a message rule to divert mail to a specific folder according
the criteria you select.
3. Open OETune and click on the checkbox for the dbx file that matches
the
folder you wish to watch.
4. When the dialog box opens, choose the sound file you wish to play
or
choose the htm file you wish displayed when that folder is written to.
5. Choose any other files that you wish to have sounds played for or
htm
files displayed.
6. Click on the Engage button to initiate watching of folders.

You can test the notification for that folder by going to the folder
to be
watched and then going to another folder. When you leave the watched
folder,
the notification should occur.

KNOWN ISSUES

Because the notification is triggered whenever the file is written to,
the
program will trigger the notification when the user leaves a folder
which
has has a sound applied to it, as OE writes to the folder whenever one
leave
s that folder.

FREEWARE

Debbie's comments:
Okay when you first run the program, you will be in an edit field.  I
had to
down arrow to select my identity.
Then you can tab to a listview and if you picked the correct identity,
you
should have a listview of your OE folders.
Press the space bar on the name of a folder in the listview and a
dialog
will come up that is like a typical open dialog where you can pick
your
sound file.
Jaws did indicate whether a checkbox was checked or not for me.
When you have sounds assigned to the folders that you want, tab and
enter or
press the space bar on the engage button.
Then minimize the program to the taskbar with alt space N.
You have to leave the program running for it to work, you can't close
it.
My verdict is still out on the program for two reasons.
One, as the author of the program indicated you will also get the
sound when
you arrow up and down your treeview of folders to a folder that has a
sound
assigned.
Two, the program doesn't remember your settings from one session to
the
next.  So once you exit OETune, the next time you start it you have to
assign the sounds to your folders again.
So I'm not sure if it is worth that much trouble, smile.  But I
thought I
would let you know about it since it came up on the list the other day
that
you can assign different sounds for incoming mail to specific folders
in
Microsoft Outlook but that you couldn't in Outlook Express.

   If anyone tries it, please let us know how it works.

Margaret

"ANDREW GODWIN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Jenny,

your notes for assigning sounds to an email address in Microsoft
Outlook are
well written. Thank you for taking the time to put them together. How
ever,
I use Outlook Express and When looking  around in Outlook Express I
could
not find a whey to assign sounds to a particular email address. Do you
know
if it is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew